Thursday, January 14, 2010

What a Year!

I don't know why I've chosen today as the day to write my first blog entry.  It's not an important day; just an ordinary day.  I have a million and one things I should be doing, but as I'm sitting here eating breakfast, I have decided that I'd like to start documenting this time in my life; the good, the bad and the boring - it's all happening so fast these days!

We've had a lot of changes in the last year...

January 2009
We completed our very first home improvement project together when we installed a tumbled marble backsplash in our kitchen
February 2009
We adopted our first furry child, Finnegan 

March 2009
Bridal Showers in Buffalo (and Finn's first St. Patty's Day!)
Steph told everyone she had "given up alcohol for Lent."  
The truth was she was pregnant with Samantha, and no one knew except me :-)

One Lucky Pup :o)

April 2009
Bridal Shower at Rotary Gardens in Janesville

May 30, 2009
Our Wedding Day!  Buffalo, NY

June 2009
Our Honeymoon in Pagosa Springs, Colorado
The magnificent view from the patio at Great Aunt Kathy's condo in Pagosa


The view from our picnic lunch after our hike at Williams Lake Reservoir



July 2009
We celebrated America's birthday with my family in Duluth, MN.  This proved to be the best weekend of Finnegan's life; he got to meet his BFF Jade, and the two didn't stop playing all weekend.  The humans managed to have a little bit of fun, too ;-)

Best Buddies

 
Our wonderful hosts for the weekend :-)
"Black Beard"

October 2009
Marty started his new job, which required him to be in Indiana for 10 weeks of training.  It was a challenge to be apart for so long (especially during such a stressful time in our lives) but it makes us really appreciate the time we have together now.  I visited him once during training; we managed to see three different states in one afternoon of sight-seeing: Indiana, Ohio and Kentucky!
Fountain Square in Cincinnati
November 2009
Marty had a few days off from training for Thanksgiving, so he flew home and then we headed up to Duluth for our annual celebration with my family.  We also celebrated Finnegan's first birthday with a special birthday cake I made for him :o)

 
FiRsT NiGhT fReNzY
Happy 1st Birthday Finnegan!
December 2009
Marty finished his new job training and flew home to Wisconsin on Friday, December 11.  I spent that whole week packing up and cleaning our condo, so on Saturday we finished packing, celebrated Christmas with my mom and dad, and then we hit the road on Sunday morning!  It was about a 7 hour trip, with a few potty breaks for Finn (who was such a good traveler!).  
Making a pit stop in Indiana


We spent our first three nights in Michigan at the Hilton Suites in Auburn Hills, which was a bit of a challenge with a dog and two vehicles loaded to capacity!
Keeping up on his neighborhood watch duties from the 5th floor of the hotel



Then on December 16 we moved into a furnished corporate apartment in Troy, MI.  It was so nice to have a full kitchen and space to spread out after being cramped in our hotel room and cars for four days!
Finn unpacking his toys
We had just enough time to unpack before hitting the road again; this time to Buffalo for Christmas with Marty's family!  Another 5 1/2 hours in the car and  then it was finally time to relax and spend time with our new niece Samantha McCann :-)








Uncle Marty and Samantha
Finn also got to spend time with his cousin Brady (and play with his toys)

It's hard to sum up such a whirlwind year in one posting; we've gone through so many changes, had so much fun, and have learned and grown so much as individuals and as a couple.  I feel so blessed to have the love and support of such wonderful family and friends, and I'm really looking forward to 2010 and all of the new adventures it brings!

No comments:

Post a Comment