He met lots of new friends (both humans and dogs) and we are really looking forward to our next visit in a few weeks. Despite being VERY excited, he was very well behaved. He was quite eager, to say the least, when it came to showing off his tricks... all I had to do was reach into my pocket and say "sit" and he sprung into trick autopilot: he flew into sit, raised one paw and then the other, flopped down onto his belly, and then flipped over onto his back, with his paws in the air - all in a matter of about 6 seconds!! I barely had a chance to say the word "sit" and he was already on his back, ready for his reward. Needless to say, he likes to be the center of attention...
I still haven't replaced my broken camera, so I only have one crappy cell phone picture, and one I grabbed from the Town Village Pet Therapy Website.
Finn visiting with his new friends: Bill, Nava and Gabe
Finn and his new buddy, Sam
I discovered the pet therapy group via the Troy All Dogs Play Group, which I joined a few weeks ago. Finn gets to make new friends and burn some energy, and it's also a great way for us to meet people in the area. The members I met at the nursing home today were so friendly, and I'm really looking forward to participating in some of the fun events they have planned this spring/summer. They've asked us to participate in the Royal Oak St. Patty's Day Parade on March 13, and told me all about about a camping weekend they host up north every summer, where the group has full run of a private campground!
Overall it was such a rewarding experience - not only for the residents, but for the dogs and their owners as well. And it re-sparked my interest in getting Finn certified as a therapy dog.


No comments:
Post a Comment